Therapeutic Adaptive Yoga for Multiple Sclerosis (TAYMS)
A Training for Certified Yoga Teachers and Care Professionals
Making Yoga Accessible for Every Body
Where there's a need, there's an opportunity to serve. Yoga offers so many tools for people living with chronic health conditions. This training provides the tools, practice and confidence to bring yoga to students who need an adaptive approach and smaller, specialized classes to meet their needs.
Teaching Adaptive Yoga for People with Multiple Sclerosis is an experiential workshop designed to give experienced yoga teachers and health care professionals training in adaptive yoga techniques for individual students or students in group settings who have multiple sclerosis and other neurological health conditions.
Founded on the Integrative Yoga Therapy model of whole person wellness, this program includes practical information for yoga teachers as well as a model for integrating yoga philosophy into practices for body, mind and spirit.
While the focus is on multiple sclerosis, this skills based workshop is applicable to other student populations who need an adaptive approach. Teachers who participate in this training will take away additional knowledge, skills and confidence to assist their students and to creatively address the many different stressors and limitations that can result from having MS.
This week long training is designed for certified Yoga Teachers and professionals who work with people living with multiple sclerosis.
- Daily practices to experience and integrate the tools and philosophy of Integrative Yoga Therapy and their application for students living with multiple sclerosis
- Adaptive asana and chair yoga.
- Relaxation and Meditation.
- Yoga Philosophy as it applies to the condition of MS:
- Foundations and overview
- Koshas, Chakras, Doshas.
- Anatomy & Physiology:
- Allopathic (western view) - Includes a presentation by an MS Specialist with extensive knowledge of MS and the importance of regular exercise including: current research, the effects of stress on the immune system, the anti-inflammatory benefits of exercise, etc.
- Yogic (eastern view) - Condition of MS and the Kosha model
- Methodology / Teaching Considerations:
- The practicalities of teaching group classes or private lessons such as accessible facilities, time of day, length of class, safety issues, learning styles, symptom awareness, etc.
- Class Design for Students with Limitations.
- Teaching students with disabilities.
- Health Questionnaire.
- Rolesand Goals.
- Therapeutic Application / Techniques:
- Adaptive Asana
- Chair Yoga
- Props for Safety and Alignment
- When and How to Assist
- Practice teach
- Hands-on-practice, a very important part of the training, includes a two hour community education program where members from the community who have MS are invited to participate. Teachers say this is the most meaningful part of the training because they interact with real people rather than role playing. This is also very challenging for some teachers who have never interacted with someone who has disabilities.
- Case Study
- 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training Certification
- Health care professionals who work with clients who have MS may also participate.
- Must have a minimum one-year direct yoga experience in an ongoing class with a 200+ hour certified yoga teacher.
- The Therapeutic Training Center of Austin
- 10410 Anderson Mill Road, Austin, TX 78750
- Phone: 512.415.4966
- Saturday, TBA
- Attendance at all sessions is required for certification.
- Saturday, 2 - 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Total program hours: 51 (must attend a minimum of 50 to earn certificate).
- This program is approved by Integrative Yoga Therapy as a Module 3 specialization training for the 500 hour certification. Certificate required.
- This program meets the Yoga Alliance requirements for up to 51 hours of continuing education.
Program Cost: Payment in full is required at the time of registration. Yoga Heals Us also offers an payment plan option which must be paid in full 2 weeks prior to the training.
- Early bird $715 in full by Save 10%
- $795 after
- Payment Plan: $825 total
- $275 Deposit
- $275 2nd payment
- $275 final payment due
- Made out to: Yoga Heals Us LLC
- Mail to: Yoga Heals Us LLC, 32 Borodell Avenue, Mystic, CT 06355
- Pay online:
Accommodations and Meals:
- This is a non-residential program. There are a number of hotels and restaurants in the area. Email Karen for list of hotels and possible room / ride share.
- Karen O'Donnell Clarke
- Genevieve Yellin
- 14 days or more prior to the first day of the training:
- You will receive a refund minus a $50 processing fee.
- 13 days through 1 days prior to the first day of the training:
- You will receive 75% of your payment minus a $50 processing fee.
- No refund is available:
- if you cancel on the first day of the training.
- if you are a ‘no show’ or if you leave the training early for any reason.
"Karen, your workshop was incredibly empowering! Your knowledge and your spirit shone through and your generosity in sharing with us was unsurpassed. You were extremely organized and seemed to anticipate our every need and question. Thank you for sharing your story and your experience.
Demonstrating your initial meeting with a student on Saturday was very powerful and the workshop on Sunday was incredible! I was a little nervous, because I hate those occasions of being “put on the spot,” but the experience proved to be invaluable. I had the pleasure of working with the male caregiver who seemed not to want to be there. After the session, he seemed to have totally been sold on the benefits of yoga and spoke about how enlightening the experience was for him. Completely unexpected!!! How wonderful!
Again, thank you so much. You are doing incredible work and I very much valued having the opportunity to be your student. I hope to work with you again in the future!" ~ ML
"I think that the training as a whole has really developed. There was so much more in this training than in the one I took (in 2006.) I’ve been to some good workshops and some great workshops and this was up there with the best. You are authentic in your passion and bring humor into what could be and is a very serious topic. You remind us of the humanness of our students and that each of them should be treated as individuals. Thank you for that gift." ~ LB